Thank you Jing and thank you Tim.
If this feature will allow HPA enabled deployment managed pods to spawn with a
prepopulated volume each, that would be nice. If not, using emptyDir with a 2
minute startup delay as the data is synced for each new pod is what it is.
PS would be nice if GKE had a RWX SC out of the box.
Cheers

> On Sep 6, 2018, at 6:10 PM, 'Jing Xu' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
> <kubernetes-users@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Naseem, for your volume data prepopulated request, like Tim mentioned, we now
> have volume snapshot which will be available in v1.12 as alpha feature.  This
> allows you to create volume snapshots from volume (PVC). With snapshot
> available, you can create a new volume (PVC) from snapshot as the data
> source. So the volume will have data prepopulated. We also plan to work on
> data clone and population features which allow you to clone data from one PVC
> to another one or prepopulate data from some data source. Please let us know
> if you have any questions about it or any requirements for the feature.
> Thanks!
>
> On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 1:52:11 PM UTC-7, Naseem Ullah wrote:
> I do not think you have to understand what you are asking for, I've learned a
> lot by asking questions I only half understood :) With that said autoscaling
> sts was a question and not a feature request :)
>
> I do not see how "data is important, and needs to be preserved" and "pods
> (compute) have no identity" are mutually incompatible statements but if you
> say so. :)
>
> In any case the data is more or less important since it is fetchable, its
> just that if its already there when a new pod is spun up, or when a
> deployment is updated and a new pod created, it speeds up the startup time
> drastically (virtually immediate vs 2-3 minutes to sync)
>
> Shared storage would be ideal. (deployement with hpa, with a mounted nfs vol)
> But I get OOM errors when using RWX persistent volume and +1 pods are syncing
> the same data to that volume at the same time, i do not know why these OOM
> errors occur.  But maybe that has something to do with the code running that
> syncs the data. RWX seems to be a recurring challenge.
>

> On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 4:33:18 PM UTC-4, Tim Hockin wrote:
> You have to understand what you are asking for.  You're saying "this
> data is important and needs to be preserved beyond any one pod (a
> persistent volume)" but you're also saying "the pods have no identity
> because they can scale horizontally".  These are mutually incompatible
> statements.
>
> You really want a shared storage API, not volumes...
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 1:08 PM Naseem Ullah <nas...@transit.app> wrote:
> >
> > I see I see.. what about autoscaling statefulsets with an HPA?
> >
> > > On Sep 6, 2018, at 4:06 PM, 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion
> > > and Q&A <kubernet...@googlegroups.com <>> wrote:
> > >
> > > Deployments and PersistentVolumes are generally not a good
> > > combination.  This is what StatefulSets are for.
> > >
> > > There's work happening to allow creation of a volume from a snapshot,
> > > but it's only Alpha in the next release.

> > > --
> >
> > --

  • [kubernetes-users]... Naseem Ullah
    • Re: [kubernet... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re: [kube... Naseem Ullah
        • Re: [... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
          • R... Naseem Ullah
            • ... 'Jing Xu' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... Naseem Ullah
                • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
                • ... Naseem Ullah
            • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... Naseem Ullah
              • ... Naseem Ullah
          • R... David Rosenstrauch
            • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... David Rosenstrauch
            • ... Naseem Ullah