I don't completely disagree. The folder widget, and having to switch to "Folder View" is very confusing for new users, and it is discouraging new people I recommend to use Kubuntu.
and I've been told is now default
This is great. It will stop getting new comers confused. In my opinion the Folder Widget should not be set by default. It is useful, but not mandatory.

but I've never used this feature productively
I'm using this very much, especially at work. It is helping me a great deal to organize my work:
Desktop 1 ("Work 1") - Main Working Space
Desktop 2 ("Work 2") - Testing Space
Desktop 3 ("Personal") - Personal Space

And if I had a better computer, I would probably have more.