Hi Gerry,

Thanks for your help.

> Hi Franklin,
> maybe I can help with some of your questions. See replies inline
>
> On 26 Jul 2017, at 14:12, Franklin Weng <frank...@goodhorse.idv.tw> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> 1. plasmashell doesn't honor the XDG related environment variables:  I
> set the XDG env variables like XDG_MENU_PREFIX, XDG_CONFIG_DIRS, ...
> etc. in the Xsession.d which should be loaded *before* kinit5 started.
> However these environment variables are not passed to kinit5 and hence
> XDG_MENU_PREFIX wouldn't work, which would cause that it always reads
> /etc/xdg/menu/kf5-applications.menu .
>

> You can use this command to see the environment variables that are being
> set for plasmashell, including by the scripts in Xsession.d:
>
> xargs -n 1 -0 < /proc/`pgrep plasmashell`/environ
>
> I did a test myself, and setting a variable in a script in the Xsession.d
> directory worked just fine. Note you need to take care, as some of the
> scripts set XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and XDG_DATA_DIRS already, so make sure your
> script runs after them.
>
> If you can check this, it’ll help us narrow in on where the problem is:
> either the env var isn’t set, or plasmashell isn’t reading and acting on
> the env var.

The result of the plasmashell environment is here:
https://pastebin.com/n4t7VyAa

XDG_MENU_PREFIX is set to "ezgo-", however the menu still shows
kf5-applications.menu.

http://imgur.com/p0jMq1s shows the content of /etc/xdg/menus
http://imgur.com/whTph9c shows the menu with above settings

http://imgur.com/kSKcIsy   : log out and link kf5-applications.menu to
ezgo-applications.menu
http://imgur.com/yqLVJqR  : the menu shows what I want (the content defined
in ezgo-applications.menu)

The above imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/3KdEy

> 2. /etc/kde5rc seems not work:  According to the source code [1], it
> should read /etc/kde5rc to get the default profile path prefix.  However
> no matter how I set /etc/kderc, /etc/kde4rc, /etc/kde5rc with the
> following code:
>
> [Directories-default]    ## or [Directories]
> prefixes=/usr/share/ezgo/ezgo-kde/kde-profile/
>
> It wouldn't read the default configurations from the path I assigned.
>

> I agree the code says /etc/kde5rc, and the syntax you’re using appears
> correct. I don’t know how to test this however - what could I do to
> reproduce your custom menus?

apt-key adv --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4CD565B5
echo "deb http://free.nchc.org.tw/ezgo-core/ ezgo13 main" >>
/etc/apt/sources.d/ezgo.list
apt-get update

apt-get install ezgo-menu

The content of ezgo-menu is here: https://pastebin.com/6iFszV8b

It contains the /etc/Xsession.d/33ezgo-menu to define XDG_MENU_PREFIX

> 3. I couldn't use a new file to override the layout.js in
> /usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/ or in
> /usr/share/plasma/layout-templates/org.kde.plasma.desktop.defaultPanel/contents/.
>
> I need to directly change the content so that the desktop and panel I
> want can be applied, which violates the debian package policy.  Eike
> mentioned the "look-and-feel" packages (org.kde.[look-and-feel]).
> Please tell me where the document is and I'll see if I can use this way
> to solve the problem.
>

> Have you seen this?:
> https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/Create_a_Look_and_Feel_Package

Thanks, I'll study it more.