Hi Rik-

Thank you very much for the advice. I fully updated my system again,
with no packages held back, rebooted, and was happy to try removing the
two packages you mentioned.

I was pleasantly surprised that I seem to have full performance with
graphical effects, so apparently some package update in the last 12-ish
hours has fixed this issue.

I attempted to remove the two packages you mentioned, to give you better
feedback, but I found that I don't have any package installed with the
prefix "libglv" -- I'm typing "apt remove libglv" and tab-completion
isn't suggesting any installed packages.

I likewise do not have a package "libegl1" installed, but 'apt remove'
tab completion suggested 'libegl1-mesa', and I'm guessing that removing
this would have a lot of side effects:

"""
root@isomorphic:~# apt remove libegl1-mesa
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
  chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra geoip-database-extra gir1.2-polkit-1.0
gir1.2-secret-1
  kdegames-card-data-kf5 libaribb24-0 libbasicusageenvironment1 libcddb2
libcfitsio5
  libdc1394-22 libdmtx0a libdvbpsi10 libebml4v5 libeditorconfig0
libgee-0.8-2 libgit2-26
  libgps23 libgroupsock8 libhttp-parser2.7.1 libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18
libjs-openlayers
  libkate1 libkf5akonadicalendar-data libkf5alarmcalendar-data
libkf5calendarutils-data
  libkf5cddb-data libkf5compactdisc-data libkf5contacteditor-data
libkf5grantleetheme-data
  libkf5gravatar-data libkf5identitymanagement-data libkf5imap-data
libkf5jsapi5
  libkf5kdegames-data libkf5ldap-data libkf5pimtextedit-data libkf5sane-data
  libkf5syntaxhighlighting-data libkf5tnef-data liblivemedia62
liblua5.2-0 libmatroska6v5
  libmicrodns0 libmjpegutils-2.1-0 libnfs8 libokteta-data
libokteta2core2 libopencore-amrnb0
  libopencore-amrwb0 libopenmpt-modplug1 libpackagekitqt5-1 libplacebo3
libproxy-tools
  libqgpgme7 libqrencode3 libqt5sensors5 libqt5texttospeech5 libquicktime2
  libresid-builder0c2a libsdl-image1.2 libsidplay2 libsmi2ldbl
libsox-fmt-alsa libsox-fmt-base
  libsox3 libspandsp2 libspectre1 libupnp6 libusageenvironment3
libva-wayland2 libvlc-bin
  libvlc5 libvlccore9 libvulkan1 libwireshark-data libwireshark10
libwiretap7 libwscodecs1
  libwsutil8 libxcb-xv0 libxfont2 pulseaudio-module-gconf sox transcode
transcode-doc twolame
  vlc-bin vlc-data vlc-l10n vlc-plugin-base vlc-plugin-samba
vlc-plugin-video-splitter
  vlc-plugin-visualization wireshark-common xserver-xorg-legacy
zenity-common
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libportaudio2
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  amarok amarok-utils apport-kde apturl-kde ark baloo-kf5 bluedevil
breeze chromium-browser
  chromium-browser-l10n dolphin dolphin-plugins drkonqi ffmpeg
ffmpegthumbs firefox
  frameworkintegration gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gstreamer-qapt gwenview k3b k3b-i18n
  kaccounts-integration kaccounts-providers kactivitymanagerd kamera
kate kcalc kcharselect
  kde-baseapps-bin kde-cli-tools kde-config-gtk-style
kde-config-gtk-style-preview
  kde-config-mailtransport kde-config-screenlocker kde-config-sddm
  kde-config-telepathy-accounts kde-config-whoopsie kde-runtime
kde-spectacle kde-style-breeze
  kde-style-breeze-qt4 kde-style-oxygen-qt5 kde-style-qtcurve-qt5
kde-telepathy
  kde-telepathy-approver kde-telepathy-auth-handler
kde-telepathy-contact-list
  kde-telepathy-desktop-applets kde-telepathy-filetransfer-handler
  kde-telepathy-integration-module kde-telepathy-kaccounts
kde-telepathy-kpeople
  kde-telepathy-minimal kde-telepathy-send-file kde-telepathy-text-ui
kdeconnect
  kdeconnect-plasma kded5 kdegraphics-thumbnailers kdemultimedia-kio-plugins
  kdenetwork-filesharing kdesdk-dolphin-plugins kdesudo kgamma5
khelpcenter khotkeys kile
  kimageformat-plugins kinfocenter kinit kio kio-audiocd kio-extras
kio-ldap kio-sieve
  kio-smtp kmenuedit kmines konsole konsole-kpart konversation
kpackagelauncherqml kpat krdc
  kross kscreen ksshaskpass ksysguard ksystemlog ktexteditor-katepart
ktnef ktorrent
  kubuntu-driver-manager kubuntu-notification-helper kwalletmanager
kwayland-integration kwin
  kwin-addons kwin-common kwin-style-breeze kwin-x11 kwrited
language-pack-kde-en
  libavdevice57 libcolorcorrect5 libdbusmenu-qt5-2 libdebconf-kde1
libegl1-mesa
  libgrantlee-textdocument5 libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-bin libk3b7
libk3b7-extracodecs libkaccounts1
  libkasten3controllers3 libkasten3core3 libkasten3gui3
libkasten3okteta1controllers1
  libkasten3okteta1core1 libkasten3okteta1gui1 libkdecorations2-5v5
libkdecorations2private5v5
  libkf5akonadiagentbase5 libkf5akonadicalendar5abi1
libkf5akonadicontact5abi1
  libkf5akonadicore-bin libkf5akonadicore5abi1 libkf5akonadimime5
libkf5akonadisearchdebug5
  libkf5akonadisearchpim5 libkf5akonadiwidgets5 libkf5alarmcalendar5
libkf5auth5 libkf5baloo5
  libkf5baloowidgets-bin libkf5baloowidgets-data libkf5baloowidgets5
libkf5bookmarks5
  libkf5calendarcore5 libkf5calendarutils-bin libkf5calendarutils5
libkf5cddb5
  libkf5compactdisc5 libkf5completion5 libkf5configgui5 libkf5configwidgets5
  libkf5contacteditor5 libkf5contacts5 libkf5crash5 libkf5dbusaddons5
libkf5declarative5
  libkf5emoticons-bin libkf5emoticons5 libkf5filemetadata-bin
libkf5globalaccel-bin
  libkf5globalaccel5 libkf5globalaccelprivate5 libkf5grantleetheme-plugins
  libkf5grantleetheme5 libkf5gravatar5 libkf5guiaddons5
libkf5iconthemes-bin libkf5iconthemes5
  libkf5identitymanagement5abi1 libkf5idletime5 libkf5imap5
libkf5itemviews5 libkf5jobwidgets5
  libkf5jsembed5 libkf5kaddressbookgrantlee5
libkf5kaddressbookimportexport5 libkf5kcmutils5
  libkf5kdcraw5 libkf5kdegames7 libkf5kdelibs4support5
libkf5kdelibs4support5-bin
  libkf5kdgantt2-5 libkf5kexiv2-15.0.0 libkf5khtml-bin libkf5khtml5
libkf5kiocore5
  libkf5kiofilewidgets5 libkf5kiogui5 libkf5kiowidgets5 libkf5kipi-bin
libkf5kipi31.0.0
  libkf5kipi32.0.0 libkf5kirigami2-5 libkf5kmanagesieve5
libkf5kontactinterface5
  libkf5krosscore5 libkf5krossui5 libkf5ksieveui5 libkf5ldap5
libkf5libkdepim-plugins
  libkf5libkdepim5abi1 libkf5libkdepimakonadi5 libkf5libkleo5
libkf5libkleo5abi1
  libkf5mailtransport5abi2 libkf5mailtransportakonadi5
libkf5messagecore5abi2
  libkf5messagelist5abi1 libkf5messageviewer-plugins
libkf5messageviewer5abi3
  libkf5mimetreeparser5abi1 libkf5newstuff5 libkf5newstuffcore5
libkf5notifications5
  libkf5notifyconfig5 libkf5parts-plugins libkf5parts5 libkf5people5
libkf5peoplewidgets5
  libkf5pimcommon-plugins libkf5pimcommon5abi2 libkf5pimcommonakonadi5
libkf5pimtextedit5abi1
  libkf5pimtextedit5abi2 libkf5plasma5 libkf5plasmaquick5
libkf5plotting5 libkf5prison5
  libkf5purpose-bin libkf5purpose5 libkf5quickaddons5 libkf5runner5
libkf5sane5
  libkf5screen-bin libkf5screen7 libkf5service-bin libkf5service5
libkf5solid5 libkf5sonnetui5
  libkf5style5 libkf5su-bin libkf5su5 libkf5syndication5
libkf5syntaxhighlighting5
  libkf5sysguard-bin libkf5texteditor5 libkf5textwidgets5 libkf5tnef5
libkf5wallet-bin
  libkf5wallet5 libkf5waylandclient5 libkf5waylandserver5
libkf5webengineviewer5abi3
  libkf5webkit5 libkf5widgetsaddons5 libkf5windowsystem5 libkf5xmlgui5
libkf5xmlrpcclient5
  libkfontinstui5 libkolab1 libkpmcore7 libkscreenlocker5
libksignalplotter7 libktorrent-l10n
  libktorrent6 libktpcommoninternals9 libktplogger9 libktpmodels9
libktpotr9 libktpwidgets9
  libkubuntu1 libkwalletbackend5-5 libkwin4-effect-builtins1
libkwineffects11 libkwineffects9
  libkwinglutils11 libkwinglutils9 libkwinxrenderutils11
libkwinxrenderutils9 libkworkspace5-5
  libokteta2gui2 libokular5core7 liboxygenstyle5-5
liboxygenstyleconfig5-5 libphonon4qt5-4
  libpolkit-qt5-1-1 libpoppler-qt5-1 libpowerdevilcore2 libprocessui7
libqapt3-runtime
  libqgsttools-p1 libqmobipocket2 libqt5designer5
libqt5designercomponents5 libqt5gui5
  libqt5help5 libqt5multimedia5 libqt5multimedia5-plugins
libqt5multimediaquick-p5
  libqt5multimediawidgets5 libqt5opengl5 libqt5printsupport5 libqt5quick5
  libqt5quickcontrols2-5 libqt5quicktemplates2-5 libqt5quickwidgets5
libqt5svg5
  libqt5waylandclient5 libqt5waylandcompositor5 libqt5webengine5
libqt5webenginecore5
  libqt5webenginewidgets5 libqt5webkit5 libqt5widgets5 libqt5x11extras5
  libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer libreoffice-kde libscim8v5
libsdl2-2.0-0
  libtaskmanager6 libwayland-egl1-mesa libweather-ion7 libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37
  libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37-gtk2 mednaffe milou okteta okular partitionmanager
  pdf-presenter-console phonon4qt5 phonon4qt5-backend-gstreamer
pim-sieve-editor pinentry-qt
  plasma-dataengines-addons plasma-desktop plasma-discover
plasma-framework plasma-integration
  plasma-nm plasma-pa plasma-runner-telepathy-contact plasma-runners-addons
  plasma-wallpapers-addons plasma-widgets-addons plasma-workspace
polkit-kde-agent-1
  powerdevil print-manager python3-pykde4 python3-pyqt5 qapt-batch
qapt-deb-installer
  qml-module-org-kde-activities qml-module-org-kde-draganddrop
  qml-module-org-kde-extensionplugin qml-module-org-kde-kcm
qml-module-org-kde-kconfig
  qml-module-org-kde-kcoreaddons qml-module-org-kde-kholidays
qml-module-org-kde-kio
  qml-module-org-kde-kirigami qml-module-org-kde-kirigami2
qml-module-org-kde-kquickcontrols
  qml-module-org-kde-kquickcontrolsaddons qml-module-org-kde-kwindowsystem
  qml-module-org-kde-people qml-module-org-kde-purpose
qml-module-org-kde-qqc2desktopstyle
  qml-module-org-kde-runnermodel qml-module-org-kde-solid
qml-module-org-kde-telepathy
  qml-module-qtgraphicaleffects qml-module-qtmultimedia
qml-module-qtquick-controls
  qml-module-qtquick-controls-styles-breeze qml-module-qtquick-controls2
  qml-module-qtquick-dialogs qml-module-qtquick-layouts
qml-module-qtquick-privatewidgets
  qml-module-qtquick-templates2 qml-module-qtquick-virtualkeyboard
qml-module-qtquick-window2
  qml-module-qtquick2 qml-module-qtwebengine qml-module-qtwebkit
  qml-module-ubuntu-onlineaccounts qt5-gtk-platformtheme
qt5-image-formats-plugins
  qtdeclarative5-qtquick2-plugin qtspeech5-flite-plugin qttools5-dev-tools
  qtvirtualkeyboard-plugin qtwayland5 rekonq sddm sddm-theme-breeze
signon-kwallet-extension
  signon-ui signon-ui-x11 skanlite software-properties-kde
system-config-printer
  system-config-printer-common systemsettings thunderbird
ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt
  user-manager vlc vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-qt vlc-plugin-skins2
vlc-plugin-video-output
  wireshark wireshark-qt xorg xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-input-all
  xserver-xorg-input-libinput xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
xserver-xorg-input-wacom
  xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu xserver-xorg-video-ati
  xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-intel
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
  xserver-xorg-video-qxl xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-vesa
  xserver-xorg-video-vmware zenity
  libportaudio2
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 429 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 64.6 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,348 MB disk space will be freed.
"""

In any case, things seem fine now. Sorry to raise an issue about a
transient problem that worked itself out, but it's hard to tell ahead of
time whether something is very specific to certain video hardware (and
might not be noticed if no Kubuntu developers are using the same
hardware), or whether it's a widespread issue that will be noticed and
fixed quickly.

Thanks again,
MMR...