Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> As I understand, fully virtualized KVM guests (on Intel VT or AMD-V) can
> perform with near native speeds only when it comes to the CPU - because
> the things like network or block device are basically emulated.
>

> Among many changes, KVM in 2.6.21 has "Initial paravirtualization
> support, which has much faster performance", and is based on KVM-15.
>

> At least two PV drivers are needed:
> - network
> - block device

I don't believe a PV block driver is actually necessary.  Disk devices
are actually quite slow (unless you have a large array).  With a few
small changes (bump MMU cache up to 1024 and actually enable the aio
subsystem), SCSI emulation does as well as Xen's PV block driver (about
210 mb/sec whereas native is around 250 mb/sec).  There's a lot of room
to optimize the SCSI emulation too since there are a number of copies in
that path.

The SCSI emulation is a lot like what one would design in a PV driver.
It supports multiple outstanding requests and doesn't require a whole
lot of exits to submit a request (it uses scripts).