On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 23:16 +1000, Rusty Russell wrote:
> I have shied away from touching x86_emulate.c (it could definitely use
> some love, but it is forked from the Xen code, and it would be more
> productive to cross-merge fixes).

On this topic, here's an idea I have been kicking around for a while:

If the x86_emulate code is so buggy/incomplete, and the QEMU one seems
to be able to generally handle most situations...could we simply exit to
userspace and use the qemu emulator somehow?  I realize the overhead is
greater, but slow+working is > fast+broken in my book ;)

Perhaps a hybrid solution would work?  E.g. exit to qemu emulator when
the in-kernel stuff hits a mis-emulation point (do we realize this
consciously in the code, or only after the guest crashes?)

I'm not really sure if this is plausible.  Its just something I was
thinking about.

Regards,
-Greg