On 8/23/07, Chris Clayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just built kvm-36 and noticed what looks as if it may be a non-trivial
> warning:
>
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/chris/rpm/BUILD/kvm-36/kernel'
> make -C user
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/chris/rpm/BUILD/kvm-36/user'
> cc -I /home/chris/rpm/BUILD/kvm-36/kernel/include -MMD -MF ./.kvmctl.d -g
> -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -m32  -fno-stack-protector     -c -o
> kvmctl.o kvmctl.c
> kvmctl.c: In function 'kvm_create':
> kvmctl.c:256: warning: integer constant is too large for 'long' type
>
> Please cc me to any reply - I'm not subscribed.

It's harmless. That branch is only taken when using more than 4GB of
memory, which in turn is only possible on a 64bit host. In this case
the 'unsigned long' would be a 64bit integer (and the shift would be
acceptable).
There are a couple more of warning related to this issue, a possible
solution to silence the warning is to use always 64bit integers
instead of the longs.

Luca