Zhang, Xiantao wrote:
> Avi Kivity wrote:
>
>> Zhang, Xiantao wrote:
>>
>>> 2. kvm_x86_ops-kvm_ops.patch.  In order to adapt different
>>> architectures, we have to change it to an neutral name. kvm_ops maybe
>>> not the best name, but shouldn't introduce different meanings. In the
>>> third patch, we add a sub field struct kvm_arch_ops for arch-specific
>>> ops. That is, different CPU archs can define its arch-specific
>>> ops for its special need. IMO, we should treat x86, IA64, ppc etc as
>>> different archtiectures, other than see vmx, svm as different archs.
>>> svm and vmx should be two different virtualization approaches for
>>> x86 arch from the point view of platforms.
>>>

>> ia64, ppc, and s390 don't need to select an implementation at runtime
>> (since each have just one instruction set) so they don't need function
>> pointers.  Instead we should use linkage (different functions for each
>> arch, but with the same names).  Kbuild will select the right files to
>> compile depending on arch.
>>

> For x86 side, how to handle the co-existence of vmx and svm ?  For
> example,  in a release linux kernel which supports KVM,  how to know it
> will be installed to Intel or AMD platforms ? If we determin it in
> advance,  we have to compile them all in at one time, but it maybe
> difficult for current
> kvm code to implement.

x86 will continue to use kvm_x86_ops for that purposes.  But other archs
should not.

x86 will use both mechanisms: first, linkage will select the x86
function, and then kvm_x86_ops will be used to select the implementation
dependent code.  The two levels are very different as kvm_x86_ops is
very low level and x86 specific.