Avi Kivity wrote:
> Anthony Liguori wrote:
>
>> I think I'll change this too into a single qemu_ram_alloc.  That will
>> fix the bug with KVM when using -kernel and large memory anyway :-)
>>

> Won't that cause all of the memory in the hole to be wasted?
>
> You could munmap() it, but it's hardly elegant.

It only gets wasted if it gets faulted in.  Any it won't get faulted in,
so it won't increase the RSS size.  We could madvise(MADV_DONTNEED) just
to ensure that it's not occupying swap space if you were really paranoid
about it.  I don't think munmap()'ing malloc()'d memory is a very good
idea.  glibc may freak out.

The alternative is to change all the places that assume phys_ram_base +
PA which I don't like very much.