SourceForge.net wrote:
> Bugs item #1884444, was opened at 2008-02-01 15:30
> Message generated for change (Tracker Item Submitted) made by Item Submitter
> You can respond by visiting:
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=893831&aid=1884444&group_id=180599
>
> Please note that this message will contain a full copy of the comment thread,
> including the initial issue submission, for this request,
> not just the latest update.
> Category: qemu
> Group: None
>
> Initial Comment:
> I've got two kvm virtual machines that I connect to gether via a virtual
> network:
>
> 1. A samba server (Kubuntu 7.10), whose network I set up with -net
> nic,vlan=1,macaddr=00:1B:FC:1C:00:01 -net socket,vlan=1,listen=127.0.0.1:1234
>
> 2. A Windows XP client, whose network I set up with -net
> nic,vlan=1,macaddr=00:1B:FC:1C:01:11 -net socket,vlan=1,connect=127.0.0.1:1234
>
> The Windows XP VM has joined the Samba VM's domain.
> When a domain user logs in, it takes litterally _minutes_ until its profile
> data is copied to the client, and same thing to copy it back to the server on
> logout.
>
> Setting up both with VDE, it's *much* quicker (only a couple of seconds,
> rather than minutes for login/logout).
>
> I also tried udp mcast networking, but couldn't get both VMs to communicate
> with each other. A tcpdump on the host shows traffic on port 1234. However, a
> tcpdump on the Kubuntu guest shows no traffic (not even arp) when I try to
> ping it from the windows VM

I am also seeing this kind of problem. As a result, I can only run one
VM a time. If I run more than one VM, then both VM's network traffic
slows to a crawl (however, both VM can still connect to hosts on
different networks). It seems like that when more than one VM runs, all
VMs are put on a half-duplex switch, lots of collisions and packets drop
off, though they are not shown anywhere.

Simon