Hollis Blanchard wrote:
>> Unfortunately I wasn't able to get an F8 ppc rescue cd ISO to boot with
>> qemu 0.9.0.  Can you point me to a working combination?
>>

> It's difficult to get anything booting with upstream PowerPC qemu,
> mostly because of the unmaintained firmware they use (called Open
> Hackware).
>
> That said, upstream qemu does not support 440 cores, which is what our
> KVM work is targeting. Also, Fedora 8 doesn't either, though it may be
> possible to get F8 working by providing your own kernel and some small
> configuration tweaks (inittab, securetty).
>
> There are other distributions that will work with little to no tweaking
> for 440, but until we can get IO (other than console) working we have
> been using very simple root filesystems.
>
> However, none of these will be useful to you in KVM unless you have a
> 440 host to run them on.
>
> Originally you said you just need a kernel tree to build against. Can
> you elaborate on what you're trying to do now?

I'd like to have a full setup so I can do run testing as well.

I was thinking of running a ppc distro on qemu, and building and running
kvm-ppc on that to test.  Even if  I don't run it, it's a much better
build-time environment.  Of course running the unit tests and an image
or two will be even better.

So, at best, I'd like an emulation environment that allows me to build
and run; at worst, build only.

--
Any sufficiently difficult bug is indistinguishable from a feature.