Kurt Neufeld <kneufeld <at> burgundywall.com> writes:

> It turns out I did have everything correctly configured but it still
> doesn't work. The problem is that I cannot get a DHCP address on my vm.

Almost correctly.

> Some general questions, should br0 be up or down? What should my vm MAC
> be? The same as my physical card (peth) which is also the same as the
> bridge (br0)? The vnet0 does not match. (output later)

br0 needs to be up. peth0 should have a different mac address. Found out this
breakthrough on a Xen page: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenNetworking

So I got it working and life is now good.

Here's my rc.local script (which will probably change slightly as I refine what
I'm trying accomplish).

rc.local:
        ifdown br0

        ip link set peth0 down
        ip link set peth0 address 00:ff:ff:ff:ff:00 arp off

        ifup peth0

        sleep 1

        ifup br0        # but with no ip address, new mac address

        route add default gw 192.168.5.254

        iptables -P FORWARD DROP
        iptables -A FORWARD -m physdev --physdev-is-bridged -j ACCEPT

        service libvirtd start

::::::::::::::
ifcfg-br0
::::::::::::::
DEVICE=br0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=bridge

MACADDR=fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:00 # doesn't work unfortunately

::::::::::::::
ifcfg-peth0
::::::::::::::
# 3Com Corporation 3c900B-TPO Etherlink XL [Cyclone]
DEVICE=peth0
HWADDR=00:50:04:7F:B5:A3
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE=br0

So over the weekend I got a virtual smoothwall firewall up and running and also
a virtual CentOS 5 mail and http server. I can now upgrade my "desktop" with
virtual impunity.

Thanks team.

Kurt