Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> Removing based on pci device number is very un-pleasant, since its
>> not something
>> the user of the monitor cares about. Nor do they even know what the
>> PCI device number
>> assigned by 'pci_add' is.
>>
>> As with addition, I'd like separate commands for NIC vs Drive, and
>> for the removal
>> key to be based upon the same data used for addition. eg so one can
>> remove the
>> NIC based on its MAC address, or remove the drive based on the
>> (if,bus,unit,filename)
>> data items.
>>
>>    nic_remove [vlan=n][,macaddr=addr][,model=type]
>>    drive_remove
>> [[file=file][,if=type][,bus=n][,unit=m][,media=d][index=i]]
>>
>> Though, perhaps still allow removal based on the PCI device ID as an
>> alternative
>> for those who happen to have that data available.
>>

> pci_remove is consistent with usb_del and things like stopcapture.
> The thing to add would be an "info pci" that let a user associate the
> slot number with higher level information about the device.

pci_add should return the slot information, which can later be used as
an identifier for pci_remove. It would also be nice to be able to
specify the slot in pci_add, though I hardly have a compelling use case
for that.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.