Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> 2008/3/19, Avi Kivity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>> Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>>  > 2008/3/16, Avi Kivity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>  >
>>  >> Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>>  >>  > Hello
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > Recently I'm using qemu-kvm on fedora-rawhide box with my own kernels
>>  >>  > (with many debug options) I've noticed that over the time my memory
>>  >>  > seems to disappear somewhere.
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > Here is my memory trace after boot and some time of work - thus memory
>>  >>  > should be populated.
>>  >>  >
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> No idea how these should add up.  What does 'free' say?
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > Ok - here goes my free log (I'm loggin free prior each start of my
>> qemu-kvm
>>  > so here is the log for this afternoon:
>>  > (I'm running same apps all the time - except during kernel compilation
>>  > I'm reading some www pages - and working with gnome-terminal - so some
>>  > slightly more memory could have been eaten by them - but not in the
>>  > range of hundreds of MB)
>>  >
>>  >

>> Can you make sure that it isn't other processes?  Go to runlevel 3 and
>>  start the VM using vnc or X-over-network?
>>

> Hmmm not really sure what do you mean by external VNC - I could grab
> this info once I'll finish some work today and kill all the apps
> running in the system - so most of the memory should be released -
> will go to  single mode for this - is this what do you want ?

The -vnc switch, so there's no local X server.  A remote X server should
be fine as well.  Use runlevel 3, which means network but no local X server.

>>  What host kernel and kvm version are you using?
>>

> Usually running quite up-to-date Linus git tree kernel -
> Both host/guest are running 2.6.25-rc6 kernels
> For compiling using gcc-4.3
>
> kvm itself is fedora rawhide package:
> kvm-63-2.fc9.x86_64
>
> (somehow I've troubles to compile the kvm-userspace git tree as libkvm
> mismatches my kernel version - which probably means I would have to
> use kvm linux kernel to use kvm-userspace ??)

If running kvm.git, do ./configure --with-patched-kernel.  Please report
kvm compiler errors.

> (actually why the gcc-3.x is preferred when this compiler is IMHO far
> more broken then 4.3 ?)

qemu requires gcc 3.  The kernel may be compiled with any gcc that it
supports.