On Apr 7, 2008, at 6:05 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> Alexander Graf wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> this is an improved version of the patch I sent several weeks ago to
>> this list. Functionally nothing changed; it still hacks into
>> gfxboot and
>> patches it to work on Intel CPUs on the fly. The big difference is
>> that
>> this version is cleaned up and should work with every future CPU
>> available.
>>
>> Please do _not_ apply this patch. I send it to the list only for
>> interested people, who would like to have a working version of KVM
>> for
>> their systems right now. It is neither a proper fix nor the right
>> approach to deal with this issue. It is merely a hack that works
>> for me
>> and maybe for others too.
>>

> Perhaps a viable way to fix this upstream would be to catch the
> vmentry failure, look to see if SS.CPL != CS.CPL, and if so, invoke
> x86_emulate() in a loop until SS.CPL == CS.CPL.
>
> There are very few instructions in gfxboot that would need to be
> added to x86_emulate (if they aren't already there).

In a previous thread Avi already explained a quite reasonable way to
approach this problem, which I believe is a really good approach. He
wanted to x86_emulate until the environment is "VMX friendly" again,
thus resolving big real mode problems as well.

I personally agree that the real approach is way superior to my patch.
I just won't have the time to do it in the near future and not being
able to boot intuitively hurts KVM users unnecessarily ;-).

Regards,

Alex