On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 01:29:50PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Joerg Roedel wrote:
> >Only the state saved in the VMCB is undefined after an intercepted
> >shutdown event.
>
> The vmcb stores two types of states, guest state and control
> information.  Are both undefined?

Only the guest state is undefined.

> >I am not sure if I understand your second question, what
> >do you mean with "core melting down" vs. guest initiated shutdown?
> >

> IIRC shutdown can occur not only as a result of triple faults, due to
> other internal errors or inconsistent state.  Not sure about that
> though.

No, there is no way to to differentiate between a shutdown caused by a
triple fault and other shutdown situations. If the shutdown event is
caused by a too hot processor it is not intercepted. This situation is
handled like a normal cpu shutdown.

--
           |           AMD Saxony Limited Liability Company & Co. KG
 Operating |         Wilschdorfer Landstr. 101, 01109 Dresden, Germany
 System    |                  Register Court Dresden: HRA 4896
 Research  |              General Partner authorized to represent:
 Center    |             AMD Saxony LLC (Wilmington, Delaware, US)