Avi Kivity wrote:
> Stuart Sheldon wrote:
>> 2) When I started writing the management scripts to start and stop the
>> guests from the command line, I was using KVM-63 which allowed me to
>> send a "system_powerdown" to the console, this would send a PWR to the
>> guest's acpid that would bring the guest down gracefully. This stopped
>> working in kvm-64 and is still not working in kvm-66. Is there a better
>> way to do this? How can the host bring down a guest without messing with
>> it's open programs?
>>

> This is not a question, it's a bug report.  It's a clear regression
> that needs to be fixed, not worked around.
>
> Please send timely reports of such issues when you encounter them.

This was caused by

commit 6bb0805aeabd5c6ef5408f57c7da5ca6385dd0f5
Author: Dor Laor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:   Thu Mar 13 00:11:41 2008 +0200

    kvm: qemu: fix sci irq set when acpi timer about to wrap

    The acpi timer should generate sci irq when enabled and
    when bit 23 of the timer counter toogles.

    Fixes time reading by the performance counter api of windows guest.

I'm reverting it for kvm-68.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.