Here's my thinking as to why we don't want to destroy the VM in the mmu
notifiers ->release method.  I don't have a valid use-case for this but
my argument depends on the fact that this is something that should
work.  Daemonizing a running VM may be a reasonable use-case.  It's
useful to wait to daemonize until you are sure that everything is
working correctly so it's not all that unreasonable to move the
daemonize until after the VCPUs have been launched.

If you take a running VM, and pause all of the VCPUs, and then issue a
fork() followed by an immediate exit() in the parent process, the child
process should be able to unpause all the VCPUs and the guest should
continue running uninterrupted.

 From KVM's perspective, issuing the fork() will increment the reference
count of the file descriptor for the VM but otherwise, no real change
should happen.  The issue would now be that we must completely flush the
shadow page table cache.  In theory, MMU notifiers should do this for us.

When the parent process exits, this will result in exit_mmap() and will
destroy the KVM guest.  This leaves the child process with a file
descriptor that refers to a VM that is no longer valid.

Just avoiding destroying the VM in the ->release() method won't fix this
use-case I don't think.  In general, I think we need to think a little
more about how fork() is handled with respect to mmu notifiers.