On Feb 18, 2009, at 3:21 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:

On 17.02.2009, at 09:32, "Liu Yu-B13201" <yu....@freescale.com> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: kvm-ppc-ow...@vger.kernel.org
[mailto:kvm-ppc-ow...@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Roberto Innocenti
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:26 PM
To: kvm-ppc@vger.kernel.org
Subject: kvm on G4 processors?

I have tried to compile kernel 2.6.27 with kvm support on my PowerBook G4, but kvm option is not visible becouse kernel menu config permit to
compile kvm kernel module only if you ave a PowerPC 440 architecture
and not G4.
But really kvm doesn't work for G4 processors, it's so different the
architeture ?
In case kvm is working how to compile the kernel module on my G4?

I'm afraid that KVM now doesnot support G4.
440 belongs to BOOKE architecture, which is much different from G4.

We are at the begonning of porting kvm to 970(fx) atm, which is a lot closer to a g4 than any booke.

Alex, which deployment of the 970 are you targeting:
1) IBM JS21/22 blades, that actually have a hypervisor already present
2) Apple G5, Bare metal, but has most hypervisor features physically disabled 3) Any non-Book3E, which we call "classic" like 604, 750... and/or Book3S, G3, G4, G5, P3, P4

If you choose (1), then your work would be harder but it should apply to any IBM PPC64 or "pSeries" product If you choose (2), then your work could be much easier, but it would apply to G5s only.
if you choose (3), then its about the same as (2).

Another question is, when you do create your virtual machine, do you intend for it to look exactly like a G5 machine (and support an unmodified MacOS), a pSeries Machine (and emulate the pSeries Hypervisor), or some new Machine that will require further modifications to the OSes you will support?

BTW: I do not intend to discourage, and would be thrilled to see _any_ of the above explored.
-JX

For now, there's no usable code yet though.

Alex