OK, my question is this:

If I want to tell QEMU to quit from within the KVM_RUN ioctl in a way
that causes QEMU to exit gracefully (e.g. free any allocated memory
etc.) what is the way to do that?

I have tried setting EXIT_REASON to both KVM_EXIT_EXCEPTION and
KVM_EXIT_SHUTDOWN, but QEMU stays in the execution loop and
re-executes the machine over and over.

Is this some logic that has to be done architecture specifically in
kvm_arch_post_run(...) or ?

And yes, any exceptions should be handled in KVM, but in the case of
an unrecoverable error I'm left with reporting this to the user and
end the QEMU process, right?

Thanks,
Christoffer