On 07.01.2011, at 07:52, Dushyant wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the response.
> My aim is to install kvm on a powerpc system. I will give a detailed
> description of the environment.
>
> Host arch: x86
> kernel: 2.6.32.25 (ubuntu 10.04 32 bit)
> I have emulated powerpc using "qemu-system-ppc" and installed debian on
> top of this.
>
> guest os:
> debian-507-powerpc (2.6.26-1-powerpc)
> contents of /proc/cpuinfo:
> processor     : 0
> cpu           : 740/750
> temperature   : 62-64 C (uncalibrated)
> clock         : 1000.000000MHz
> revision      : 3.1 (pvr 0008 0301)
> bogomips      : 33.02
> timebase      : 16600733
> platform      : PowerMac
> model         : Power Macintosh
> machine               : Power Macintosh
> motherboard   : AAPL,PowerMac G3 MacRISC
> detected as   : 49 (PowerMac G3 (Silk))
> pmac flags    : 00000000
> pmac-generation       : OldWorld

This emulates a G3, not a 440 :). But you're lucky - the G3 is also supported
by KVM. Mind if I ask why you want to virtualize inside of an emulated
environment?

> I want to use kvm on this guest os. I have installed kvm-userspace
> application. Now, I require kvm kernel module. I have some questions.

Just compile any recent qemu version (0.14 as soon as out, otherwise just take
a git snapshot).

> 1. As x86 systems are distributed with kvm kernel module(kvm.ko,
> kvm-intel.ko, kvm-amd.ko), is there any powerpc system with kvm kernel
> modules.

I'm not aware of any distribution that precompiles KVM. If you configure it as
a module, you'll end up with "kvm.ko".

> 2. Is it possible to run kvm on powerpc-750, powerpc-970  or both

Both :).

> 3. How should I try to build kvm kernel module for guest os. I have two
> kernel for powerpc on host os.

I always compile natively on a real 970 box. But I don't see why
cross-compilation would fail. Just make sure you're building for the correct
target and you'll get an option in the Virtualiztion menu.

Also, please don't top-post.

Alex