Anthony Liguori wrote:
A major source of performance loss for virtio-blk has been the fact that we
split transfers into multiple requests.  This is particularly harmful if you
have striped storage beneath your virtual machine.

This patch copies the request data into a single contiguous buffer to ensure
that we don't split requests.  This improves performance from about 80 MB/sec
to about 155 MB/sec with my fibre channel link.  185 MB/sec is what we get on
native so this gets us pretty darn close.

If the guest issues a request for a terabyte of memory, the host will try to allocate it and drop to swap/oom. So we need to either fragment beyond some size, or to avoid copying and thus the need for allocation.