Going through your slide "increasing the virtual machine density with
ksm" I got an idea about how KSM works internally.

1. Scan registered memory area
2. During scan of every page P, generate
    hashval = hashfn(content of P)
3. The hashval is used as an index into the hashtable, the pfn of P is
added to the list at hashtable[hashval]
4. if there are other pfns in the list, do full comparison of  both
the newly added page P and the prev page (say Q)
5. if both are same merge them

what if they are not same ?
will the pfn of P still remain in the list of hashtable[hashval] ?

say the list at hashtable[hashval] is like -> Q1 -> Q2 -> Q3
where Qn is the pfn of the pages having hash-value =  'hashval' ,
while comparing with the contents of a new page P, which of these Qn's
will be used ? (I think the ans to prev ques will answer this)

--
Thanks and Regards,
Sukanto Ghosh