I am running virtio with the latest KVM code, and see a significant
performance issue.

Ping to the host (or any other close machine) reports a 4ms delay.

In the same setup with an e1000 emulation (just changing model=virtio to
model=e1000 in the KVM command line), ping reports 0.177ms delay.

BTW, initially I saw that the throughput when using netperf is very low,
even from guest to host, even though the CPU utilization is low.

What might be the problem?

Thanks,
Ben