Hello list,

I did some benchmarks over the weekend and compared
kvm-78 on a 2.6.27.4-2-default against vmware server 2.0.0-122956

Host Machine:
- Host E8400 (3GHz) 2GB RAM
- virtual machines are on iSCSI or NFS
- virtual machine is booted with -m 1024 and e1000

1. Bench
=========

Installation of SuSE 11.1: (time to finish)
1. iSCSI kvm : 48 min
2. NFS   kvm : 54 min (qcow image)
3. VMWare    : 38 min

2. Bench
========
Booting of SuSE 11.1 beta4 (from grub to getty prompt)
(with coldcache, http://linux-mm.org/Drop_Caches)

1. iSCSI kvm : 33 sec
2. NFS   kvm : 44 sec
3. VMWare    : 34 sec

same, with "hotcache".

1. iSCSI kvm : 22 sec
2. NFS   kvm : 23 sec
3. VMWare    : 21 sec

3. Bench
=========
Now the NIC performance from within the VM to the outer world,
(measured with tcpspray--program writes to the discard service over tcp)

VM->outer world

1. iSCSI kvm : 12 MB/s
2. NFS   kvm : 12 MB/s
3. VMWare    : 50 MB/s

now the reverse:

outer world->VM

1. iSCSI kvm : 50 MB/s
2. NFS   kvm : 50 MB/s
3. VMWare    : 100 MB/s

but here the kvm results varies from 30MB/s - 70MB/s

4. Bench
========

Now iozone benchmarks, which measure the "virtual drive" of the
VM: IOZone write a 2GB file to /tmp , writes it again reads it and reads
it again. (Two runs with 2GB and 4GB file size)

1. iSCSI-kvm:
KB      write   re-writeread    re-read
2097152 24131   25349   44325   46055
4194304 25056   25419   44917   44654
avg:    24593   25382   44621   45354

2. NFS-kvm:
KB      write   re-writeread    re-read
2097152 7584    37846   43334   42654
4194304 12185   20558   37075   40029
avg     9884    29202   40204   41341

2a (because of qcow effect) second run:
KB      write   re-writeread    re-read
2097152 35980   33474   42010   43395
4194304 21675   20732   37976   39134
avg     28827   27103   39993   41264

3 VMWARE:
KB      write   re-writeread    re-read
2097152 56168   47829   12568   11688
4194304 47315   32088   10897   10801
avg     51741   39958   11732   11244

RESULT
=======

As a result I would say, that the virtual NIC in VMware is much faster
(if you see tcpspray as benchmark)
And the write performace of VMWare is better 50MB/s againt 29MB/s in
kvm. But VMWare seems to have a horrible read performance (11MB/s vs.
44MB/s)

But in general VMWare is faster, at least during the installation
benchmarks (38min vs 48 min with kvm)
Maybe these benches could give an idea for future improvements, but
I wont say that kvm is slow, its fast enough, but maybe has room for
improvements.  :-)

regards,

Martin