Alexander Graf wrote:
Hi,

On 25.01.2009, at 09:16, Neo Jia wrote:

hi,

I am thinking if it is possible to port KVM to Mac OS (leopard). Is
there anybody doing this already?

I've considered doing it, but haven't gotten around to it, due to lack of inspiration. The biggest problem IMHO is the sync. Rewriting a kvm module for Mac OS X should be fairly easy, but you'll miss all the good bugfixes from upstream. Using the upstream code with a wrapper on the other hand is probably a really big hassle, because osx doesn't really know about mmu notifiers and a lot of other Linux internal things.

You can use hardware breakpoints to emulate mmu notifiers beaivor for kernel that you cannot patch. The only issue is that beacuse the source is close you may never know where is the right place to put the notification.

So if you come up with a good idea for this problem, I'd be glad to help you out as much as time permits :-).

Alex

If it is possible, which KVM release should I use as a start?

Thanks,
Neo
--
I would remember that if researchers were not ambitious
probably today we haven't the technology we are using!