On 05.06.14 18:52, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Il 05/06/2014 18:45, Alexander Graf ha scritto:

Only if you were using "-cpu somethingThatHasAVX", though, no?

Yes. The same argument goes the other way around. I want to use AVX
emulation, do "allow-emulation" and suddenly I get MONITOR/MWAIT emulation.

What about:

- letting "-cpu foo,+emulatedfeature" just work

- adding emulated=yes that blindly enables all emulated features

- making "-cpu ...,check" prints a warning for emulated features unless emulated=yes

So:

  -cpu foo,+emulatedFeature just works

  -cpu foo,+notEmulatedFeature still sets the CPUID bit for that feature

-cpu foo,check prints warnings for all cpuid bits not in the "allowed" bitmap. It prints different warnings depending on whether the bit is in "emulated" or not

Alex