On 6/23/2014 10:09 PM, Oscar Garcia wrote:
Hello,

I am planning to study a phd for the next year, and I would like to
spend part on my time studying KVM code in order to suggest new
improvements.
I know that this mail list is used by experts related to KVM, I would
like to ask you, what  improvements are needed in KVM in order to
advance in that direction?

For starters I'd check out the KVM TODO page on the wiki and the GSOC pages on the Qemu wiki. Aside from that, just hang out and try to pick up what you can. Realistically though (unless you just love hypervisor code), all the interesting work is going on in Qemu and libvirt/openstack/other management tools.

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/TODO
http://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2014
http://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2013
http://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_201<replace back to 2010>