On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 09:44:07AM +0100, Miguel Barbosa Gonçalves wrote:
> I am building a KVM cluster that needs VM live migration.
>
> My shared storage as well as the KVM hosts will be running
> CentOS.
>
> Because 10 Gbps Ethernet switches are very expensive at the
> moment I will connect the KVM hosts to the storage by
> cross-over cables and create private networks for each
> connection (10.0.0.0/30 and 10.0.0.4/30).
>
> The following diagram shows the topology
>
>  Management             Management            Management
>     VLAN                   VLAN                  VLAN
>      |                      |                     |
> +----+-----+  10 Gbps  +----+----+  10 Gbps  +----+-----+
> | KVM Host |-----------| Storage |-----------| KVM Host |
> +----+-----+           +----+----+           +----+-----+
>      |                      |                     |
>    Public                 Public                Public
>     VLAN                   VLAN                  VLAN
>
> My question is: will live migration work in this configuration
> since the storage will have 2 different IP addresses
> (10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.5) in 2 different networks even though
> it is the same storage?

At the QEMU level this works.

At the libvirt level you may need to be careful how you configure the
storage and domains (VMs).  You need to make sure that the storage
network details are not part of the same VM configuration that gets
applied on both hosts.

For example: if you NFS mount or attach iSCSI LUNs to the host and then
just give libvirt the path to the image file, it will work.  But if you
want libvirt to do the NFS/iSCSI setup for you then you'll have to dig
into the configuration documentation (http://libvirt.org/) and it may
not be possible.

Stefan