On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 02:01:52PM +0200, Stefan Geißler wrote:
> Hello kvm mailing list,
>
> I assume, this is a rather uncommon mailing list post since it is not
> directly related to the usage or development of KVM. Instead, the following
> is the case:
>
> I am a student of computer science and am currently working on my masters
> thesis. The work in progress topic is "Mining vulnerability databases for
> information on hypervisor vulnerabilities: Analyses and Predictions". In the
> context of this research work i am analyzing various security related
> aspects regarding different hypervisors including KVM (A simple example
> contained in my analysis is the discovery process of security
> vulnerabilities and how the total number of disclosed vulnerabilities
> developes over time).
>
> The reason i am writing this post to the public mailing list is, that i am
> looking for someone who might be willing to support me during my work with
> (for example) information and/or personal experience. Or simply said: May i
> post questions and ask for help explaining my findings from time to time or
> is this too much off-topic for this mailing list?

It's not off-topic.  I think it's in the interest of the community so
don't be afraid to engage the mailing list with your questions or
feedback on your findings.

> For now the question would be, whether there is some kind of a formal
> documentation of the vulnerability disclosure process or a security policy
> specific for KVM?

The kvm kernel module is part of Linux and there is a process for that:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/SecurityBugs?id=HEAD

The QEMU emulator does device emulation in userspace is a separate
project (used by KVM and Xen).  It has its own security process here:
http://qemu-project.org/SecurityProcess

> If someone has any information regarding this, feel free to contact me
> directly through my personal mail address. Any help and information will be
> greatly appreciated!

That way others can participate and it becomes archived/searchable.

Stefan