Nolan wrote:
Windows does zero all memory at boot, and also runs a idle-priority thread in
the background to zero memory as it is freed.  This way it is far less likely to
need to zero a page to satisfy a memory allocation request.  Whether or not this
is still a win now that people care about power consumption is an open question.

I suspect the difference of behavior between KVM and VMware is related to
VMware's page sharing.  All those zeroed pages can be collapsed into one COW
zero page.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn that VMware has heuristics in the
page sharing code specifically for windows guests.

Perhaps KSM would help you?  Alternately, a heuristic that scanned for (and
collapsed) fully zeroed pages when a page is faulted in for the first time could
catch these.

ksm will indeed collapse these pages. Lighter-weight alternatives exist -- ballooning (need a Windows driver), or, like you mention, a simple scanner that looks for zero pages and drops them. That could be implemented within qemu (with some simple kernel support for dropping zero pages atomically, say madvise(MADV_DROP_IFZERO).