output?

DVD is Fedora 10 DVD (i386)

Four cases:

# desktop user; DVD unmounted
$ md5sum /dev/sr0
md5sum: /dev/sr0: Input/output error

# desktop user; DVD mounted
$ md5sum /dev/sr0
ff311b322c894aabc4361c4e270f5a3f  /dev/sr0

Download the iso file to your disk and point kvm there.

It's the easiest to do; your problem is not really kvm-specific.

I'll try that but it seems as though the process being owned by root is preventing the access to the cdrom. So isn't that kvm? Does libvirt know this? I mean never once have we been able to use the cdrom from the VM. Not just for this problem. This seems to be some kind of access problem.

Ok, using an F10 ISO file when get access denied error when trying to define the domain. So I did this: chcon -t virt_image_t F10-ISO-FILE and now the domain defines ok. BUT, even then using the ISO file we still get the same error message as always:
Boot Failure Code:  0003
Boot from CDROM failed:  cannot read the boot disk.
FATAL: No bootable device.

The host runs with SELinux targeted enforce. So thinking this might be an selinux issue I set 'setenforce 0' to put it into permissive mode but it made no difference. Still the same boot error.
Boot Failure Code:  0003
Boot from CDROM failed:  cannot read the boot disk.
FATAL: No bootable device.

Regards,
Gerry