Nick Piggin wrote:
On Wednesday 15 April 2009 08:09:03 Andrew Morton wrote:
On Thu,  9 Apr 2009 06:58:37 +0300
Izik Eidus <iei...@redhat.com> wrote:

KSM is a linux driver that allows dynamicly sharing identical memory
pages between one or more processes.
Generally looks OK to me.  But that doesn't mean much.  We should rub
bottles with words like "hugh" and "nick" on them to be sure.

I haven't looked too closely at it yet sorry. Hugh has a great eye for
these details, though, hint hint :)

As everyone knows, my favourite thing is to say nasty things about any
new feature that adds complexity to common code.

The whole idea and the way i wrote it so it wont touch common code, i didnt change the linux mm logic no where.
The worst thing that we have add is helper functions.

 I feel like crying to
hear about how many more instances of MS Office we can all run, if only
we apply this patch.

And more instances of linux guests...

 And the poorly written HPC app just sounds like
scrapings from the bottom of justification barrel.

So if you have a big rendering application that load gigas of geometrical data that is handled by many threads and you have a case that each thread sometimes change this geometrical data and you dont want the other threads will notice it. How would you share it in traditional way?, after one time shared data will get cowed, how will you recollect it again when it become identical?
KSM do it for applications transparently

KSM writing motivation indeed was KVM where there it is highly needed you may check what VMware say about the fact that they have much better overcommit than Hyper-V / XEN:

http://blogs.vmware.com/virtualreality/2008/03/cheap-hyperviso.html

It is important to understand that in virtualization enviorments there are cases where memory is much more critical than any other resource for higher density.

Together with KSM, KVM will have the same memory overcommit abilitys such as VMware have.
I'm sorry, maybe I'm way off with my understanding of how important
this is. There isn't too much help in the changelog. A discussion of
where the memory savings comes from,

Memory saving come from identical librarys, identical kernels, zeroed pages -> that is for virtualization. The Librarys code will always be identical among similar guests, so why have this code at multiple places on the host memory?

 and how far does things like
sharing of fs image, or ballooning goes and how much extra savings we
get from this...

Ballooning is much worse when it come to performance, beacuse what it does is shrink the guest memory, with KSM we find identical pages and merge them into one page, so we dont get guest performance lose

 with people from other hypervisors involved as well.
Have I missed this kind of discussion?

Careful what you wish for, ay? :)