On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If a set of drivers essentially implementing the virtio framework
>> (virtio_pci, virtio_ring, virtio queues) were available for
>> windows, that would be *really* neat.
> I haven't tried them myself but I think this will give you virtio-net
> for Windows:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=180599&package_id=267943
>
> More information:
> http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/tip-how-setup-windows-guest-paravirtual-network-drivers

Hi Stefan :)

Sure, closed-source virtio-net drivers exist (in fact there is a newer
version than the one
you linked. I think it is 12/2008 distributed as an iso). The point
(and the advantage
of Xen in this area) is that Xen provides the source too under GPL.

Even if there was source available for the virtio framework only (and
not net at all)
it would still be useful to others wanting to write virtio drivers for windows.

It is harder for a third party to do this job because you would have to make the
decision to either use the Windows DDK and samples (which means you can't
release under GPL and thus you can't reuse or even look at the current virtio
implementations) or use GPL and the current linux virtio code as a base but
in this case you can forget DDK and the samples (at least that is my
understanding).

Cheers,
Pantelis