On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 10:35:27AM +0800, Sheng Yang wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 May 2009 20:46:04 Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> > > Because there is no registered (kvm) memory slot for the range which
> > > e1000 registers its MMIO? Not sure about the address of the MSI-X table
> > > page, but you could achieve the same effect by splitting the slot which
> > > it lives in two, with a 1 page hole between them.
> >
> > You could also move the emulated MSI-X table, sticking it on top of the
> > existing BAR. Since PCI config includes the pointer to the table,
> > a driver that reads this pointer will continue to work.
>
> One BAR can contain more than a MSI-X table... The PCI spec only said the
> other information should be page aligned and can't in the same page of MSI-X
> table(except PBA). I think this method make thing more complicate, we don't
> want to and can't trap other informations in the same BAR...

The trick I was suggesting was increasing the BAR size.
Let's assume we have real BAR of size 1Mbyte and MSI-X table at offset 0.
We report to guest BAR of size 2Mbyte and MSI-X table offset 1MByte.
Trap all accesses 1MByte to 2MByte and copy them to MSI-X table.

> > Of course, there's no guarantee that guest drivers don't just hard-code
> > this offset.
>
> I think this mostly won't happen.
> >
> > > BTW this is why you can't map the MSI-X table page directly, you want
> > > accesses to be trapped.
> >
> > BTW current design won't work if the base page size is > 4K, will it?
> > The hole covers a page, so you'll get faults outside the MSI-X table.
>
> Yes. One entry for MSI-X is 16bytes, one page can contain 256 entries. Well,
> haven't see a device get more than 100 entries, but for this limitation,
> maybe
> we should limit MSI-X max entries to 256 (rather than 512 entries
> now)temporarily...

Drivers might not have a clean fallback path if the number of entries
becomes smaller.

Another problem is if TARGET_PAGE_SIZE is > 4K.
PCI spec only asks devices to reserve 4K of space for the table,
so you will accidentally trapping accesses not related to MSI-X.

--
MST