Gregory Haskins wrote:

BTW, why did you decide to use get_user_pages?
Would switch_mm + copy_to_user work as well
avoiding page walk if all pages are present?

Well, basic c_t_u() won't work because its likely not "current" if you
are updating the ring from some other task, but I think you have already
figured that out based on the switch_mm suggestion.  The simple truth is
I was not familiar with switch_mm at the time I wrote this (nor am I
now).  If this is a superior method that allows you to acquire
c_t_u(some_other_ctx) like behavior, I see no problem in changing.  I
will look into this, and thanks for the suggestion!

copy_to_user() is significantly faster than get_user_pages() + kmap() + memcmp() (or their variants).

signature is too narrow to contain.