On 06/30/2009 09:33 PM, Michael Jinks wrote:
In an attempt to get past unrelated interference I just set up an X
session with only an xterm, used that to launch VNC connecting to my
KVM test host, and tried to launch my test guest again.  Same
behavior: Ctl-Alt patterns are ignored, as are any other keystrokes I
try to send to the qemu console window, which won't release my mouse.

I've looked but haven't found any way to attach a monitor process to
an already-running guest.  Is this possible?  Or do we only get a
monitor as a child process of the initial kvm invocation?

Look up the -monitor option.

Given the way qemu and screen interact, using the same keystrokes to
initiate commands, it would be really useful to have some other way to
detach and re-attach to a kvm guest on the fly.

If you run qemu in screen, use -vnc.  X and screen don't mix.