On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:52 AM, sudhir kumar<smalik...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 2:59 AM, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues<l...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>> Adding iperf network performance test. Basically it tests
>> networking functionality, stability and performance of guest OSes.
>> This test is cross-platform -- i.e. it works on both Linux and
>> Windows VMs.
>>

> I have a question here. Why are we adding iperf in a way different
> than other tests ? We have client/tests/<different_tests> directory
> for each test which contains the python modules and the test tarball.
> Then why in case of iperf we are putting it under client/tests/kvm and
> modifying kvm.py instead of putting the testsuit as part of
> autotest(run_autotest is not enough?)? Even if we do not want to touch
> the existing iperf test in autotest we can use a separate name like
> kvm_iperf. Somehow I have a feeling that there was a discussion on the
> list for keeping tests under a particular directory. But still I feel
> that should be only for tests specific to KVM and not the guest. Is
> there any disadvantage of using the current approach of executing
> these testsuits ?

The reason to put my test under "kvm/" test, is because it depends on
KVM-Autotest framework, not just on generic Autotest framework.

In addition, the test is cross-platform on the guest side, currently
supporting Windows and Linux guests, with possibility to support
Solaris and BSD in future.

LMR: me too, hate putting binaries in source tree, but the alternative
option is to provide separate *.tar.bz2 for all the binary utils, and
I don't sure which way is better.

--
-Alexey Eromenko