----- "howard chen" <howac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Currently both Xen and OpenVZ are well known and mature product used
> in hosting companies.
>
> How about KVM? What are the advantages if I use KVM as the VPS
> solution?
>
> E.g.
>
> performance?

Due to a difference between virtualization and containers concepts, KVM won't
be faster than OpenVZ.
KVM may approach similar performance to Xen, if you use VirtIO para-virtual
drivers.

> security?

KVM is a kernel module, while Xen and OpenVZ is a whole modified kernel, which
means that, _theoretically_, KVM has much lower chance of having security holes.

> maintainity?

Kernel maintainability:
Here KVM has an edge again, because it is a kernel module it is much easier to
port to newer versions of the Linux kernel.

Xen and OpenVZ require much more significant work and code changes to keep
up-to-date with newer kernels.
For KVM forward-porting is natural, as it is integrated in the kernel.

Distro maintainability:
KVM can be very easily maintained for new and old distros alike, even those
Linux distros that are not virtualization aware.
Maintenance of Xen or OpenVZ support on less popular Linux distros is a big
problem.

-Alexey