Marcelo:

Attention: this is _not_ a resent of my last series. I'm deferring
resending that until we reach consensus on the ioctl error values.

This one is another one I had on trigger. I tested it across reboots,
system_resets, shutdown, migration, and normal use.

It tries to glue together a lot of code that looked like the same. It
has a quite visible side effect, which is that from this point on,
we'll need --enabled-kvm for running a kvm guest. Although it is a big
change, I argue that it would happen soon or later.