On 07/28/2009 11:05 PM, Glauber Costa wrote:
use cpuid code from upstream. By doing that, we lose the following snippet
in kvm_get_supported_cpuid():

     ret |= 1<<  12; /* MTRR */
     ret |= 1<<  16; /* PAT */
     ret |= 1<<  7;  /* MCE */
     ret |= 1<<  14; /* MCA */

A quick search in mailing lists says this code is not really necessary, and
we're
keeping it just for backwards compatibility. This is not that important, because
we'd lose it anyway in the golden day in which we totally merge with qemu.
Anyway, if it do _is_ important, we can send a patch to qemu with it.

It is important. Please don't introduce regressions (if you do, introduce them in separate patches). The procedure to drop such workarounds for kernel bugs is to verify that major distros have the kernel fixes in their supported kernels.