Hi Gregory.

On Monday, 03 August 2009 23:01:30 -0400,
Gregory Haskins wrote:

> >> There is no set artificial limit afaict, though there are a large
> >> number of factors that can affect performance.  Of course,
> >> everything has an ultimate ceiling (KVM included) but I have found
> >> this limit in KVM to be orders of magnitude faster than 10Mbps.
> >> Properly tuned, you should easily be able to saturate a GE link at
> >> line rate, or even 4Gbps-5Gpbs of a 10GE link.

> >> However, since you are only hitting 10Mb/s now, there is ton of
> >> headroom left even on upstream KVM so you might find it to be
> >> satisfactory as is, once you address the current bottleneck in your
> >> setup.

> >> Things to check:  What linkspeed does the host see to the next hop?
> >> How much bandwidth does the host see to the same end-point?  What
> >> is your overall topology, especially for the VM (are you using -net
> >> tap, etc).  What MTU are you using.  Etc.

> > It draws attention that when executing 'cfgmaker' from MRTG server
> > against the IP of the VM, it returns max speed of 1250 kBytes/s,
> > that is to say 10 Mbps:
> >
> > sparky:~# /usr/bin/cfgmaker --global 'WorkDir: /tmp' --global \
> >  'Options[_]: bits,growright' xxxxxxxxxxx...@10.1.0.42
> > [...]
> > MaxBytes[10.1.0.42_2]: 1250000
> >

> > But nevertheless from within of the VM I see the following thing:
> >
> > aps2:~# ethtool eth0
> > Settings for eth0:
> >         Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
> >         Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
> >                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
> >         Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
> >         Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
> >                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
> >         Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
> >         Speed: 100Mb/s
> >         Duplex: Full
> >         Port: MII
> >         PHYAD: 32
> >         Transceiver: internal
> >         Auto-negotiation: on
> >         Supports Wake-on: pumbg
> >         Wake-on: d
> >         Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
> >         Link detected: yes
> >

> > do you think that can give some indication?

> Hmm.. I am not familiar with MRTG/cfgmaker, but from your ethtool output
> I suspect you are not using virtio.  How do you launch the guest?

The VMs are booted with a syntax similar to the following one:

r...@ss02:~# ps ax|grep aps2|grep -v grep
28711 ?        Sl   8171:06 kvm -hda /dev/vm/aps2-raiz -hdb \
  /dev/vm/aps2-space -hdc /dev/vm/aps2-index -hdd /dev/vm/aps2-cache -m \
  4096 -smp 4 -net nic,vlan=0,macaddr=00:16:3E:00:00:27 -net tap \
  -daemonize -vnc :5 -k es -localtime -monitor \
  telnet:localhost:4005,server,nowait -serial \
  telnet:localhost:4045,server,nowait \

According to I was reading, it would be necessary to use with -net the
option model=virtio, so I would not be using virtio with the VMs.

In order to provide a little more information, I will say to you that
this VM is running on host with Ubuntu Hardy Heron server amd64 with
kernel 2.6.24 and kvm-62, both installed from the Ubuntu repositories,
but my idea is to upgrade in the short term to kernel 2.6.30 with KVM-88
compiled by myself basing me on a suggestion that did Avi to me by
problems that I am having of memory usage [1].

The host machine has two physical interfaces with the following
configuration:

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
         address 10.1.0.47
         netmask 255.255.0.0
         network 10.1.0.0
         broadcast 10.1.255.255
         bridge_ports eth1
         bridge_stp off
         bridge_maxwait 5

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
         address 10.3.0.47
         netmask 255.255.0.0
         network 10.3.0.0
         broadcast 10.3.255.255
         gateway 10.3.0.5

Executing ethtool from the host machine, I get the following data:

r...@ss02:~# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: g
        Wake-on: g
        Link detected: yes

r...@ss02:~# ethtool eth1
Settings for eth1:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: g
        Wake-on: g
        Link detected: yes

Apparently even though the interface for bridge supports 10/100/1000,
the one of the VM is 10/100.

> Have you actually run something like netperf or an rsync to see what
> type of bandwidth you actually get?  Perhaps this is just the mrtg
> tool getting confused about the actual interface capabilities.

It draws attention to me that I have MRTG registering the bandwidth of
several routers and for those cases it register over 10 Mbps without
problem. These are the values that I obtain in a snapshot with iptraf:

Iface     Total      IP         NonIP     BadIP       Activity
lo        120        120        0         0            3,00 kbits/sec
eth0      2654       2654       0         0           56,40 kbits/sec
eth1      346250     346250     0         0        18459,20 kbits/sec
tap0      24         24         0         0            0,40 kbits/sec
tap2      128        128        0         0            1,20 kbits/sec
tap3      8366       8366       0         0          685,40 kbits/sec
tap1      24         24         0         0            0,40 kbits/sec
tap5      19531      19531      0         0         2742,80 kbits/sec
tap4      328258     328258     0         0        16127,80 kbits/sec

Also, according to MRTG, at this precise moment the VM interface is not
saturated in 10 Mbps. There is some command whose execution can be used
to associate a tap device with a VM?

Like additional note, I am observing that the sum of the activity on
each tap device exceeds the measurement for eth1. This can be possible?

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Daniel

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.kvm.devel/37704
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9  29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37