Hi list,

I'm currently working on a project which involves Windows kernel
debugging.  Typically this is done using two PCs: one to run the code,
and the other to run the debugger.  The debug and target PCs are then
connected via serial, USB or 1394.

I'm trying to get the above configured using two KVM-based virtual
machines for the Windows hosts.  My research[1] suggests that this
should be possible, but so far I've not had much luck.  So far, I've
linked the two KVM hosts together using a virtualised serial
connection (that is: using the "-serial pipe" argument to kvm-qemu
with two pipes and socat acting as the interconnect[2]), and using
socat's debugging options I can see data passing between the hosts,
but the windows kernel debugger never achieves a connection.

Has anyone on the list got any experience of this kind of setup, or
any suggestions that might help ?

Thanks,
Tom

[1].  There are a few webpages which deal with the general principle,
even if they're not KVM-specific:

http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2005/10/20/482413.aspx
http://blog.electric-cloud.com/2009/08/05/how-to-set-up-kernel-debugging-for-windows-in-vmware-esx/

[2].  To be precise,

socat config:

  $ socat PIPE:wdbg1 PIPE:wdbg2

KVM1:

  $ kvm-qemu -hda <image-1.img> -serial pipe:wdbg1

KVM2:

  $ kvm-qemu -hda <image-2.img> -serial pipe:wdbg2

--
Tom Parkin
www.thhp.org.uk