2009/8/18 Vadim Rozenfeld <vroze...@redhat.com>:
> did you try /break switch in boot.ini?

It's a new one to me.  I've just given it a go and found no change in
behavior, from which I deduce that the target machine isn't getting as
far even as the HAL init (although this might be an incorrect reading
of the /break option).

> kd and WinDbg use the same debug engine the only one difference is in user
> interface. However, kd is much faster.

That's worthwhile to know, thanks :-)

I was mainly trying kd to see whether it reported any different/extra
information on stderr that windbg was silently swallowing.

> What is your guest OS? Are you sure you got right symbols?

My guest OS is Windows XP SP3.  I have downloaded
WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-symbols-full-ENU.exe from the Microsoft
website, which I think should be correct.

I'll keep trying to get the connection up and running.  In the
meantime, a kernel memory dump combined with after-the-fact debugging
should be enough to fix the errors I have currently.

Thanks again for your suggestions and advice,
Tom
--
Tom Parkin
www.thhp.org.uk