Bugs item #2725669, was opened at 2009-04-01 20:44
Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by sf-robot
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=893831&aid=2725669&group_id=180599

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
If multiple IP addresses are assigned to a network interface (Using interface
aliases - for example 'ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.1 ; ifconfig eth0:1 10.0.0.2'),
then the kvm init script causes the interface to become unresponsive when it
creates a bridge using the interface.

I haven't yet had a need to use bridging for my VMs, so I haven't yet tried to
figure out how to properly configure a bridge when multiple IPs are in use on
the host system (I assume the multiple IPs simply need to be configured using
aliases of the bridge itself - for example 'ifconfig sw0 10.0.0.1 ; ifconfig
sw0:1 10.0.0.2' - but I haven't actually tried it).  Therefore, I am not sure
at the moment how the kvm init script needs to be updated to fix this problem.

Regardless, I do have a number of machines which are using multiple IPs on the
host system, and I recently installed kvm on them, then discovered that after
the next reboot of each machine, the network interface is unresponsive until I
disable the kvm init script and reboot again.

So, ideally the kvm init script should be updated to properly handle aliased
interfaces, but at the very least, it needs to be updated to detect aliased
interfaces and refuse to create a bridge for them, since that seems to
completely break the underlying interface.

Date: 2009-08-25 02:20

Message:
This Tracker item was closed automatically by the system. It was
previously set to a Pending status, and the original submitter
did not respond within 14 days (the time period specified by
the administrator of this Tracker).

Comment By: Avi Kivity (avik)
Date: 2009-08-10 12:13

Message:
The kvm init script is shipped as an example only.  You should use the
networking setup that came with your distribution.

Comment By: Paul Donohue (paulsd)
Date: 2009-04-01 23:48

Message:
Yes, it does, in the userspace tree, under the scripts subdirectory:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=virt/kvm/kvm-userspace.git;a=blob;f=scripts/kvm;h=cddc931fd3b289f3c325e23b55f261e996328bd6;hb=HEAD

Comment By: Brian Jackson (iggy_cav)
Date: 2009-04-01 21:08

Message:
KVM doesn't come with an init script in the tarball. This is most likely
provided by your distro or some other third party. You should contact them
for support.