Alpar Torok

[...]
> On really new kvms this is no longer true, you can now load a snapshot saved
> on a processor from another vendor.

I am really happy to hear that, another good thing about the latest
release is that loadvm from console works. Previously Win XP BSOD-ed.

[..]

In deed, this solves the problem. With kvm 88 ONLY if the -cpu
athlon,vendorId=AuthenticAMD option is present, the virtual cpu shows
up indeed as an AMD, and the executable runs as expected. In KVM 77
the option seems to have no effect.

 An interesting thing is that the sample that didn't run in a VM
hosted on Intel, runs fine, no matter what the host architecture is as
long as -cpu athlon,vendorId=AuthenticAMD OR  -cpu
core2duo,vendor=GenuineIntel is passed. This makes me think that by
default some processor parameters are different that they would be in
real hardware. It is thus possible that the malicious executable
performs VM detection (but fails if run on AMD host).

I will see how KVM behaves with this option when other executables are
tested, but i think that setting this option for a sand-box is
recommended (it might affect live migration, but i am not interested
in that).