On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 15:21 +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Ross Boylan wrote:
> > My XP VM was working OK, and then started crashing shortly after it
> > logged me in.  There were no obvious changes at the time.  I built the
> > latest qemu-kvm, but the problem persists.
> >
> > I am running 32 bit XP on Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420  @ 2.50GHz (8 cores
> > total), Debian GNU/Linux mostly Lenny (amd64), but with some more recent
> > stuff.  In particular, the kernel is 2.6.30-8 and I pulled in the
> > kernel-headers package to match before building kvm.  However, libc6 and
> > libc6-dev are at Lenny's 2.7-18 version.
>
> Libc is basically irrelevant here.  What matters are the host kernel
> and kvm version.
BTW, I do not have libvirt installed.

> > $ ./XP.sh
> > ++ sudo vdeq bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -net
> > nic,vlan=1,macaddr=52:54:a0:12:01:00 -net
> > vde,vlan=1,sock=/var/run/vde2/tap0.ctl -boot c -vga std -hda
> > /dev/turtle/XP01 -soundhw es1370 -localtime -m 1G -smp 2
> > arg ,vlan=1,sock=/var/run/vde2/tap0.ctl
> > TUNGETIFF ioctl() failed: Invalid argument
> > TUNSETOFFLOAD ioctl() failed: Bad address
Are the previous 2 messages significant?  Just noise from vdeq?
> > The VM starts; I see the initial XP screen with the 4 colors; I see the
> > background I get when I log in (it logs me in directly without prompt);
> > and then (pretty fast) I get a blue screen.  The stop code is 0x8E, and
> > the text says to check disk space and BIOS options.
>
> What's the bios files your kvm uses?
How do I find out?
> Are they by a change
> from some old qemu install?
>
> Does kvm deb from http://www.corpit.ru/debian/tls/kvm/ expose the same
> issue?
I'll try the next time I'm at the machine (I've also had problems with
remote use).

> > -no-kvm-irqchip and -no-kvm-pit make no difference.
> >
> > With -no-kvm I get stop code 0x24 and a suggestion to disable
> > anti-virus, defragmentation, and backup software.  This is the one
> > obvious change between the Lenny kvm and the one I just built; with
> > lenny kvm (kvm 72+dfsg-5~lenny3) running with -no-kvm simply seemed to
> > hang forever (I think I waited at least 15 minutes).
> >
> > This disk turtle/XP01 is a read-write snapshot on turtle/XP00.  The
> > snapshot looks healthy, with about 50% allocated to the snapshot.  The
> > snapshot volume is 10G and the original is 50G.
> >
> > The VM starts fine if I point it to XP00 instead of XP01.
>
> Well, that's telling, isn't it?  If you change disk image and
> it works, the problem should be in the disk image...
Maybe.  As I said, it was working, and I get different errors with
--no-kvm.

Is there a way I can mount the individual partitions on XP01 to get a
look at them?  It took a lot of time to create this, so I'm really
hoping I can salvage it.

> > P.S.  What are the different files in my kvm/bin directory?
>
> There's no kvm/bin directory in the source tarball of qemu-kvm-0.11.0.
I'm referring to the installation directories:
/usr/local/kvm/bin$ ls
qemu-img  qemu-io  qemu-nbd  qemu-system-x86_64

Ross