I have been unable to get the real mouse and the virtualized mouse to
stay together when using kvm with linux host, guest and client.
Previous advice (to me and others) was to use -usbdevice tablet.  I've
tried that, and a variety of kvm/qemu versions, but no luck.

Can anyone suggest what to do, or how to diagnose it?

vnc and the mouse work OK for Windows XP guests.

Host system:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5420  @ 2.50GHz, 8 cores
qemu-kvm 0.12.2, built from source
linux 2.6.32-trunk-amd64 (stock Debian kernel)
guest linux 2.6.26-2-amd64

Invoked with
sudo vdeq bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -net
nic,vlan=1,macaddr=52:54:a0:14:01:01 \
    -name "Lenny BCU Server" \
    -vga std -vnc localhost:5 -usb -usbdevice tablet \
    -net vde,vlan=1,sock=/var/run/vde2/tap0.ctl \
    -boot c \
    -hda /dev/turtle/Lenny06BCU \
    -soundhw es1370 -m 1G -smp 2
I've tried without the -usb; I added it hoping it would help.  It
didn't.

My client has been either the host system or 32 bit linux system.
Mostly I've used krdc.

All systems basically Debian Lenny, with bits from later releases (e.g.,
the kernel on the host).