On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 08:55 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> > > 1024x768 and this is what the default is today anyway.
> > That was not my experience, as reported in my post a few days ago
> > ("800x600 max resolution"), nor is it the experience reported in the
> > message that kicked off this thread.
> >
> > I have been able to get a higher resolution, but it was far from
> > automatic.
>
> It depends on the guest OS version. QEMU exposes a cirrus logic card by
> defualt,
QEMU docs recommend -std vga for higher resolutions; I used that.
> and given the lack of vsync/hsync info, the Xorg driver will
> pick 800x600 as the default resolution in absence of any Xorg.conf About
> 6 months or so back, we got Xorg guys to add a code to the Xorg cirrus
> driver that looked for the QEMU PCI subsystem ID and if found, defaults
> to 1024x768 instead.
So presumably that logic wouldn't have kicked in.  I had xorg 7.5 on
Debian squeeze as the guest.
> Of course this is itself still far from optimal
> as a user experiance. We really want it to be fully configured to any
> resolution as easily as the user would do with a real graphics card &
> monitor.
Is there some obstacle to getting the virtual monitor to provide
configuration info when it's queried?  That seems like the most direct
solution.

Ross