On 03/01/2010 07:17 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

2. For every emulated performance counter the guest activates kvm
    allocates a perf_event and configures it for the guest (we may allow
    kvm to specify the counter index, the guest would be able to use
    rdpmc unintercepted then). Event filtering is also done in this step.
rdpmc can never be used unintercepted, for perf might be multiplexing
the actual hw.

How often is rdpmc used? If it is invoked on high frequency software-only events (like context switches), then this may be a performance issue. If it is only issued on perf interrupts, we may be able to live with it (since we already took an exit for the interrupt).